Indirect Tax Accountant
Job no: 512252
Work type: Full Time
Location: NSW – Sydney Metro Area
Categories: Franchisor Office
Harvey Norman’s Corporate Office, located in Homebush West is searching for a technically competent, enthusiastic and motivated individual to be an integral part of the accounting team. Reporting to the Indirect Tax Manager, the ideal candidate will possess a strong understanding of accounting principles and be experienced in tax, preferably indirect taxes including GST, PAYG, FBT and Payroll Tax.
In this role, you will be responsible for a range of duties including ongoing GST and Payroll Tax compliance and advice for the Harvey Norman Holdings group. You will also assist the Indirect Tax Manager in providing indirect tax technical recommendations to the Harvey Norman®, Domayne® and Joyce Mayne® Franchise Directors.
This role will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to develop extensive indirect tax experience from both a compliance and technical perspective within a large, ASX-listed Top 100 company.
Summary of responsibilities:
• GST compliance for the Harvey Norman Holdings Limited GST Group and various joint venture investments including BAS and PAYG
• Reconciliation of BAS payments and refunds in respect of the Franchisor Reports of franchised complexes and liaising with Administration Managers of franchised complexes to recommend a resolution for any discrepancies
• Maintenance and registration of the Australian Business Numbers of all members of the Harvey Norman Holdings Limited consolidated group of entities
• Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager with providing ad-hoc indirect tax recommendations as required by the business, including GST implications affecting new business initiatives or systems upgrades and recommendations on new and proposed transactions
• Reporting and reconciliation of the PAYG accounts, including analysis of payroll reports received from the external payroll bureau, monthly payroll tax calculations and annual reconciliations of these reports
• Maintain various Microsoft Access databases to ensure the correct allocation of these indirect taxes
• Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager in respect of providing assurance re Indirect Tax policies and procedures in line with Harvey Norman’s Tax Framework
• Assist with reviews by the ATO/State Revenue in respect of GST and payroll taxes
• Liaise with the ATO on an ad-hoc basis as required (e.g. registration queries, interest charge remission, and other correspondence)
• Assist the Financial Reporting team during peak reporting seasons in the preparation of supporting work papers to the consolidated financial statements and note disclosures
• Keep yourself up to date with current indirect tax related news, including legislative changes and statements released by regulators, and assisting the Indirect Tax Manager with providing regular updates and training to the accounting team
To be successful in this position, you will possess the following:
• You will be a degree qualified accountant (CA/CPA preferred)
• Solid work experience within a chartered environment and/or financial accounting/taxation experience within a large publicly listed organisation (minimum 3 years)
• Experience in taxation (indirect tax experience preferred but not mandatory)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong job ownership and self-motivation skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel (comfortable with advanced formulas)
• Experience with Microsoft Access preferred
• Experience with data visualisation software and data analytics platforms (Tableau, Qlik, Alteryx or similar) preferred
• Experience with accounting systems such as Movex or SAP preferred
If the above criteria suits you, Apply Now!
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now