Job no: 545259
Work type: Full Time
Location: Homebush West
Categories: Franchisor Office
Harvey Norman Holdings Limited (HNHL) is an Australian publicly listed company that has 194 franchised complexes in Australia and 108 company operated stores in overseas markets. Harvey Norman® is a retail icon within Australia with a strong market reputation in the retail categories of furniture and bedding, electrical goods, small appliances and computers and communications.
The Franchisor Office of HNHL, located in Homebush West, is seeking a technically competent, enthusiastic and motivated tax professional to be an integral part of the Tax Team.
In this position you will be responsible for assisting with the administration and compliance of indirect taxes (GST, Payroll tax, PAYG and FBT) for the Harvey Norman Holdings Limited group and maintaining records and documentation to support the Franchisor’s activities in monitoring and evaluating Harvey Norman®, Domayne® and Joyce Mayne® Franchisee businesses. In this regard, you will also assist the wider Tax team in providing indirect tax technical advice and recommendations to the Harvey Norman®, Domayne® and Joyce Mayne® Franchisees (including GST, FBT and Payroll Tax). This role will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to grow and develop their career and gain extensive indirect tax experience from both a compliance and technical perspective, with the view to progress within a large, complex ASX-listed Top 100 company.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Assist with GST compliance for the Harvey Norman Holdings Limited GST Group and various joint venture investments including BAS, IAS and PAYG
- Maintain accounting, tax records and documentation to support the HNHL Franchisor’s Office in monitoring and evaluating Franchisee Business, including liaising with the external Tax Agents of Franchisees, to assist with their compliance activities
- Reconciliation of BAS payments and refunds in respect of the Franchisor Reports of franchised complexes and liaising with Administration Managers of franchised complexes to recommend a resolution for any discrepancies
- Maintenance and registration of the Australian Business Numbers of all members of the Harvey Norman Holdings Limited consolidated group of entities
- Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager and Tax Accountant with providing ad-hoc indirect tax advice as required by the business, including GST implications affecting new business initiatives or systems upgrades and advice on new and proposed transactions
- Reporting and reconciliation of the PAYG accounts, including analysis of payroll reports received from the external payroll bureau, monthly payroll tax calculations and annual reconciliations of these reports
- Maintain various Microsoft Access and excel databases to ensure the correct allocation of these indirect taxes
- Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager in respect of providing assurance re Indirect Tax policies and procedures in line with Harvey Norman’s Tax Framework
- Assist with reviews by the ATO/State Revenue in respect of GST and payroll taxes
- Liaise with the ATO on an ad-hoc basis as required (e.g. registration queries, interest charge remission, and other correspondence)
- Assist the Financial Reporting team during peak reporting seasons in the preparation of supporting work papers to the consolidated financial statements and note disclosures
- Keep yourself up to date with current indirect tax related news, including legislative changes and statements released by regulators.
To be successful in this position, you will possess the following:
- You will be a degree qualified accountant (CA/CPA preferred, or working towards)
- Proven experience in a similar role or solid work experience within a chartered environment with financial accounting/taxation experience (minimum 3 years)
- Experience in taxation (indirect tax experience preferred but not mandatory)
- a solid understanding of accounting principles
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong personal drive, willingness to take ownership and ability to meet and exceed goals
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel (comfortable with advanced formulas)
- Experience with SAP and Microsoft Access preferred
What’s in it for you?
This opportunity will provide:
- Experience working with a highly successful, diverse and unique business operation with fantastic opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge
- A friendly, dynamic and supportive team environment that fosters growth and development
- Great discounts on products and services across Harvey Norman, Domayne and Joyce Mayne
If you believe that this job sounds right for you, then ‘Apply Now!’.
The health, safety and wellbeing of our people and the communities we serve is our focus. In light of the risk posed by COVID-19, to enter the Workplace, employees and all others are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (or have a valid exemption under our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy or relevant State/Territory laws). Successful applicants will be required to comply with this Policy which includes providing evidence confirming they are fully vaccinated as a condition of their employment.
Please note that only people with the right to work in Australia should apply for this position.
Recruitment Agencies – thank you for thinking of us, however we do endeavour to fill our opportunities through direct channels wherever possible. If we find that we do need agency assistance, we’ll be in touch.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Refer a friendApply now